when i say becoming a fifo family takes a little of getting used to i mean that in the most obvious sense. because, of course its going to be different, there is someone missing from your family for weeks at a time! and if you don’t feel different, then i guess we have an altogether different kinda problem on our hands….
In the two weeks that Big D has been away my head has been full of mush, just the usual run-of-the-mill mush but i have really been struggling to process my thoughts which is annoying, I’ve been
falling in a worn out heap tucking myself into bed at 8pm but on the rare occasion I’m not absolutely knackered i have been watching Absolutely Fabulous from the beginnnig (which is still as ace as ever) whilst getting a little drunk on the sofa (after drinking a whole glass of wine-so cool i know!!!) but here is a little bit of what i have learned about the fifo life so far…..
1. you will hear strange scary noises as soon as you switch off your bedside lamp. of course you instantly think that axe murderers are waiting outside your door so you do what any one in your situation would do….hide under the duvet (or just sleep with the light on-those axe-murders will think you’re an insomniac!)
2. you spend most of your bedtime routine doubly, triply checking that all the doors are locked and you may or may not choose to leave some booby traps in the shape of a two year olds toy trucks on the floor by the doors. If those axe-murders do get in they will get really sore feet. If it worked in Home Alone….
3. you can’t blame your other half for zooming through all the loo roll or the wine or the chocolate stash- oopps sorry Big D!
4. even though you have a huge bed and dream of sleeping like a starfish when your partner is home you will probably still just stick to ‘your’ side once they are gone.
5. you will surprise yourself how easily you slip into your new solo parent routine-oh yeah you can just call yourself Supermum. I’m one step away from wearing a superwoman costume 24/7…..
6. you can eat whatever you like. Im a big fan of crunchy vegetables, quinoa and anything cooked from the Honestly Healthy cookbook whereas Big D likes his vegetables cooked to their soggy death, potatoes with everything and meat, lots of it…..
7. you think Skype is the best invention ever. especially at Ralph’s bedtime and especially when Big D can recite the Gruffalo from the start….
8. and when have those days that feel like are never ending just think of all those extra frequent flyer points and start planning a mega holiday!
but the best thing of all, is for sure the return! Welcome home Big D xxx